Mar 29, 2017

Manhattan Vice


When I was a little kid growing up, I loved to visit my grandparent's house in Queens. My grandfather's basement was a wood shop. It was filled with ancient turn of the century hardware. Every clamp, screwdriver, plane and drill each weighed like 30 pounds. This drawing is of my grandfather's ancient metal vices. I've never actually used them but they are gorgeous to look at. Lifting one is not easy. I never found a reason to use them. At least they came in handy for something. I took them onto the street and sat down and drew them in the sunlight. My cousin Steven said he has some of his tools too. There were hundreds of them. I'm sure they are scattered throughout the family. Beautiful momentos.

1 comment:

Sarah M. said...

They are like sculptures!! Beautiful drawing, Tommy